Home

Cavern Crier

51 replies [Last post]
Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Things are shaping up well for the CC, we now have 2 types of ki Mails to distribute: the Uru Action News and the Events one.

Today I did a quick run in the most populated Bevin (GoG) and then in Ae'gura and distributed KI Mails to 6 explorers.

Just as a guideline in case you don't know how to approach people about it: (although you can do it your own way also)

When I'm on Cavern Duty, I start my autoshout. I go to the most populated Bevin. And I start with something like this

Shorah everyone! I'm Kalypso from the Guild of Messengers. I'm on cavern Crier duty so I'm distributing Ki Mails. Is anyone interested?"

Usually, a person will reply yes. I click on the person name to continue in private. I send them the Distribution list and then say:

Sent! Just tell me what you want. I recommend keeping it because it will be updated.

The person then tell me something like "B please". I sent it to them and reply in private a simple "Sent!"

When I'm done sending them all, I say still in autoshout to the cavern:

Is anyone else interested in Ki Mails before I leave?

I wait 30 seconds and then I continue:

In that case, I'm wishing you a nice evening. Remember to visiti the Guild of Messengers website for all your Uru news at www.guildofmessengers.com we are also on Twitter and Facebook.

I then link out and go to Ae'gura to repeat my routine. And then I'm done. ;)

So feel free do be inspired by what I say above. And remember not to spam. ;)

Kalypso: #85553

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

YAY!!! Could you send the entire KIMails set to GoMeLeonardo? I'll do my part in the Cavern

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

What a nice surprise. :) Glad to have you on the Cavern Crier team Leo.

Leo, while on Cavern Crier Duty, wearing the yellow guild shirt is the yellow cap is mandatory though. ;)

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

LOL of course!! My GoMe avatar already as it on woohoo!!;)

I've always liked the idea of working for the Guild in the Cavern...directly serving the community

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Yeah, it's very rewarding. Usually they are very grateful for the ki Mails and praise at the same time the GoMe.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Yeah...just finished my first round XD

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

How did it go? ;)

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

very well. I gave out the KImails to several people and they were all glad to receive them and seeing the Caver Criers back in the City. :D

Irissa
Irissa's picture
Messenger

I've written, and am still working on a how to for cavern criers. Said tut is here: http://www.guildofmessengers.com/book/how-be-cavern-crier

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I think we need a Cavern Crier Coordinator who takes care of keeping the KImails updated and distribute all the new ones to all the Criers. Up to now Andros, me and some others have tried to keep the Criers updated but we really need someone with this specific task.

We need someone that already knows how the Criers work so I wound't add this among our Open Jobs but I'd pick someone that is already a Crier.

So, is there anyone willing to cover this job?

(sending a PM to all the Criers)

Irissa
Irissa's picture
Messenger

I'll offer to do this on one condition....

That I hand it over, to someone I will train if necessary, when CES goes into full swing. I expect that to happen in 2-3 months.

I saw this coming. I'm in the Cavern more often the rest of you, so it makes sense from that perspective. 

And if I take this on, I'd be very active about recruiting more Cavern Criers in different time zones.

In addition, I am going to spending an hour with Tanshin on the site this morning. I've proposed to him that he, once he is up to speed, take care of the Ki Mail's unless he is too busy, and then I'd pick up the slack.

I should have mentioned that. I'm sorry. It's been an uncomfortable week.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Sounds like a good plan Irissa.  ;) I agree with you.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Yes sounds good.

How's tanshin going? I haven't poked on you two in a while XD Actually I don't even know what he's doing

Irissa
Irissa's picture
Messenger

Having accepted this new role, I already have begun:

I have started to train Tanshin in the business of creating and editing Ki Mails. He will be taking that over, and when he is unavailable, I'll take care of them. Please be patient while we make some neccessary edits, make them standardized, etc. I hope all that business will be concluded over the next 7 days.

In addition to the Ki Mails, we also have another related issue, that of the posts going up on Bevin Imagers and the Guild Pub Imager. As you all know, those of you who have posted our existing Ki Mails to various Imagers find that once the post is on the Imager, it's truncated. As such, I've already created drafts of the posts I expect we want to put on Bevin Imagers, and we will get to those as soon as possible.

I've recently viewed the Guild Pub Imager, and realize there are some posts on it that will need to be created here.

I've created a new type of book in the Crier Ki Mails section, where Tanshin and I will edit posts destined for the Imagers, so that they will look right when going up to an Imager.

I've also created a new book in the Crier Ki Mails section that outlines the ways I feel we should be working on the Ki mails and Imager posts.

Now, in regards to being the Cavern Crier Coordinator, I'll need to noodle over this new position and figure out just what needs to be done. I ask any and all of you to post comments, advice, suggestions here.

Also, since I may not know all the Cavern Criers by name, could we please have a show of hands? Or someone give me a list of the Cavern Criers, or somesuch?

And on this note, I am off to take a nap.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Unless new Criers have been added without me knowing, all you should do to have a complete list of Criers is clicking on the orange flying book under your and my name here ;)

You can also take a look at Andros's GoMe Coordinator

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Irissa
Irissa's picture
Messenger

Thanks! Looks like I have to really work on recruiting efforts, heh.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Theremin
Theremin's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

Irissa wrote:

As you all know, those of you who have posted our existing Ki Mails to various Imagers find that once the post is on the Imager, it's truncated. 

Did you forget the axe-man? LOL, Figure out a character count and give the announcements to me. I'll trim them to fit.

Irissa
Irissa's picture
Messenger

Well, here it is Tuesday, April 20th.

You all may not have been aware, but I have been sickly for the past 7 days or so. I'm only today starting to feel more like myself.

And, along with RL stuff, I have way to much stuff that all demands my attention NOW.

So today, I am going to try to prioritize what needs to be done. Some of this will be Cavern Crier / Ki mail stuff, and some will be CES stuff. I ask that you all bare with me while I try to get back on my feet.

As for charecter counts...I just need to get the Guild Pub Imager data..I've already got the charecter counts for Ki mails and Bevin Imagers.  Problem with the Guild Pub stuff is that for me to do this, I need to clear whats on the Guild Pub Imager, and then upload my little image I am using to gather charecter count info. After that, I won't have anything specific to upload to the Guild Pub Imager. Sort of a catch 22.

I'll come up with some way to deal with this in a day or two.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I'm not sure about what's on the Imager right now, but I guess you can empty it and then upload the Cavern Criers KImails.

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

Last I saw, the Guild Pub imager only had two messages on it.  If you clone your test object, then upload the cloned object to the imager, then edit the clone object so it is empty, at least on the Pub imager it will simply appear that the 3rd message is empty.

Does that help?

(You could also swap shirts and go use another Pub's imager for your test.  But that would be mean. ;))

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Lynnutte has now officially taken the role of Cavern Criers Coordinator/leader.

Welcome back Lynnutte!

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

Thank you Leo. I was looking at this thread when you posted that.

I guess I should first introduce myself to those that don't know me.There have been many new messengers join since I've been gone. My name is Lynnutte. I am one of the founding members of the GoMe and the creator of the Cavern Criers. That being said, I can't wait to get to work serving the community again.

I will be sending messeges to everyone that is listed as a Crier to find out when everyone usually is in the cavern. I would also like to start actively recruiting more people as criers so we can cover more time zones. If anyone knows anyone in the cavern who they think might want to be a Crier, please talk to them and have them talk to other Criers so they can get a good sense of what the job is like. Maybe we can talk to people interested at the Guild fair (I hope that's what it's called.).

I'm not sure if Irissa or anyone else has thought of this, but do we have people willing to translate these ki mails and distribute them? I realize that might be a stretch, but it's something we can at least think about now and maybe impliment in the future. If anyone has any ideas on how to make what we do better, please don't hesitate to talk to me about it. I am always open to new ideas.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

We have a group of translators working with us, they usually translate the website articles, but maybe some of them may be interested in translating the KIMails. As the Criers you can find a list of Translators in the UsersList ;)

LostThyme
LostThyme's picture

Hey! I'm willing to join this if you still need people! I've always thought that the Guilds' presence needed to be felt more in the Cavern, and what better way than to join in the effort? :)

white
white's picture

Great! In fact, we've even heard some complaints recently about the CCs' activity decreasing, so we are very grateful if people join our corps.

I responded you in this thread. Be sure to read the link there, and if you still want to join (hopefully), PM me, so I can send you what you need.

n/a
LostThyme
LostThyme's picture

I'm glad to get to join! I managed to pass out things to six people today, which is more than I had expected. :)

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I have updated the Cavern Criers section of our Guild Books with all the new and updated KImails. Drizzle came handy here with its new feture of being able to download all the KIpics and KImail from an avie on MOULa

Today, whiel I was Cring, I was asked if I had a copy of the KImails on the Internet, so I decided to make the Cavern Criers Section Public. Just the current KImails are set to the shown to the public, all the other *drafts* are still in restricted mode.

I have also added a new KImail to our collection: Andrew Fantozzi asked if we can distribute a KImail about his new group "MORE". The Kimail has been sent to all the Criers.

white
white's picture

I added another mail today, a description of the Nick Switchers' Bevin. If there's a Crier who hasn't received it, yell.

As most of you know, Lynnutte, who is the founder and leader of the Cavern Criers, has serious health issues, which means she can't be online too often. Because this has led to the Criers being a little un-coordinated, we have agreed that I fill in as the CC coordinator until she gets back.

The situation is as follows: We do have a nice number of Criers, who go on tour semi-regularly. From what I've heard on my tours, the Cavern is served to an acceptable extent, although some of us haven't been seen very often. This is very nice, and I've thus set the recruitment of new Criers down to the "moderate" priority level. But it can still be improved. And I'd like to try to do that.

I would like to introduce a rough weekly schedule of who's in the Cavern at what time. Of course, that schedule won't be binding, and I certainly won't go to check (too often ^^) if you're there. But I'd really like to have something in my hands which tells me all timezones are served two or three times a week and the Criers are present enough to reach most of the people down there.

To make sure we all have an idea when everyone has time, I've started a Doodle survey here. Just ignore the dates and check the times which you think you could regularly serve. Once more, this is not binding. Oh, and take your time. I'll have to wait for Lunanne to return from her holidays anyway before I can start setting up the schedule.

Thanks for your cooperation.

n/a
Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I'll post my schedule in the future...I'll have a fixed week when I get back on school, right now I came in whenever

Ah I see you haven't had that big success with the poll XD Maybe you should contact the Criers In Cavern, some of them don't check much this forum.

white
white's picture

Good idea, I'll spam their KIs instead.

As I said, take your time. We've muddled through perfectly well without schedule so far, a month sooner or later won't matter now.

n/a